Chemotherapy is the administration of strong medications effective in treating a particular type of cancer. Medications vary for each diagnosis and may be administered orally or injected into a muscle or vein subcutaneously.
On-Site Infusion Center
Many patients receive chemotherapy in the comfort of our unique, specially designed on-site infusion center. At OHA, we provide a comfortable, non-clinical living room area dedicated to chemotherapy treatment. Many of our nursing staff are Oncology Certified Nurses, OHA patients benefit from dedicated, highly skilled oncology nursing care. Our expert nurses administer the chemotherapy according to a treatment schedule prescribed by your physician. Safety procedures are in place to assure the chemotherapy is delivered as safely as possible.
At OHA, we adhere to Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) guidelines when administering all chemotherapy and biotherapy treatments.
Some chemotherapy treatments must be administered in a hospital setting where you may be required to stay overnight. This depends upon the type of cancer and the type of therapy prescribed by your physician. The length and frequency of chemotherapy also varies. Chemotherapy may be given daily, weekly, monthly, or in cycles that include rest periods. Your doctor will review your individual treatment plan and answer any questions. Every OHA treatment patient is offered education counseling and informational materials that help explain chemotherapy therapy.
Benefits of On-Site Infusion:
- Patient Safety Emphasis- Equipped with a response team to address possible adverse reactions during treatment
- Staffed with CPR-certified nurses
- Furnished with comfortable recliners to help enhance patient comfort during infusion
- Unique opportunity for patients to communicate and share stories
- Provides puzzles, books, games, and other things to do while receiving treatment
- Offers a family-friendly support environment, although children under 12 years of age are not allowed in the treatment area
- Conveniently open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm